Friday, January 20, 2012

Skiing.

Some history: I love to snowboard. I haven't been in a few years because of babies and such, but when I get to go I am always reminded of how much i love it. My brother LIVES to snowboard. He is insanely good too, and partly insane. (every time I see him he is complaining of a sore bone of one kind or another) Anyway, when I thought of taking Wyatt skiing/snowboarding I knew I wanted my brother there. I figured his love and enthusiasm for the sport would rub off on my less than adventuresome little man.

The PERFECT opportunity came this past weekend. Brett is part of a social club at work where they are given the chance to buy movie tickets cheep, pay less for work Christmas parties etc. and I got this email at least a month earlier about a Suncor Family Ski night at Sunridge. It was $5/ticket for members and that included the pass, rentals as well as a hot dog or hamburger and a drink. I figured that even if I had to force Wyatt down one run that it would be worth $5.

I emailed my brother and invited him, his girlfriend and her daughter who is the same age as Wyatt, and also my sister and her family. We had a good turn out. Sadly, Isla was sick, Brett ended up backing out (which I found out later was to watch a football game... he didn't think Wyatt would even go down) but my brother in law Chris brought Jude, and Kevin, Nancy and Dahlya were there.
We had the BEST time. My sister in law Jaima had told me this great idea about bringing a hula hoop. You put the hoop over the skier and then the parent just walks down the hill holding the back and able to steer and control the speed of the skier. It was so fun, and we had so many comments from other parents with young skiers about what a great idea it was.

We arrived and started skiing by 6, and we left at 8:45. We had a break for a snack and I totally thought that once we had warmed up that Wyatt would just want to go home, but we headed back out and enjoyed the rest of the night. It was perfect weather, it snowed before and while we were there so it was fresh snow. I really don't know that I've had as much fun skiing as I did with my buddy, and I didn't even snowboard.

At the end of the night Wyatt was going down the bunny hill by himself, getting on and off the magic carpet by himself, and we even met up with an instructor who helped him on the rope tow and taught him how to turn. I really would not have believed it if I hadn't have been there.

Jude skied as well, and seemed to have a fun time. Dahlya decided to try snowboarding and was really good. I can't wait to go again.

I was so proud of him, and you could tell he was very proud of himself too.



2 comments:

Sheri said...

So fun! The hula hoop idea is genius and that price..........wow. Be sure to get us some tics next year if you come across the same deal!

Unknown said...

I'm so glad the weather was perfect for the kids. It was such great introduction to skiing. Jude had such a good time. I'm glad Wyatt loved it too.