Thursday, February 19, 2015

Day 6- Tuesday

Our last day!

We were up early and checked out of the hotel and headed to our WHOA (Wild Hawaiian Ocean Adventure) tour. It was the highlight of the trip.

We were on an old army style boat with the inflatable edges and we were in the back leaning up against a back rest and holding on to a handle  bar in front.  I did not even consider that I would get sea sick, but man did I ever.


 Almost immediately we saw these flipper dolphins. They were pretty little, but they were swimming around in a circle so they could sleep we were told. They did do a few flips that I caught on video.

I had bought this cheap little waterproof bag for my phone. I didn't use it much, and it didn't work perfectly, but I was very happy I had it on this tour.

We sped away from the other tour boats so we could get the best views of the ocean life. At one point we were seeing all these dophin, so they stopped the boat and told us to get our snorkel gear on. We knew it was a snorkel and ocean watching tour, but I figured it would be one and then the other. We were just stopped in the ocean and let out to snorkel with these dolphins. One of the most amazing experiences ever.





































I seemed to be ok on the boat when it was moving quickly, but any time we stopped to check out some wildlife I got so sick. Puking over the edge of a small boat with 9 other people close by is terrible. Also terrible, is knowing you have another 3 hours left of the tour.

Half way we stopped in a  little cove to snorkel some more. It was nice to be in the water, and see the coral and all the tropical fish. My battery was dead by then, but there is something to experiencing something first hand and not through the lens of a camera. I wasn't too disappointed.

After the tour we went for an ultimate burger for lunch, ran to costco to get gas (they still use amex, which was frustrating since Canada has switched to master card) and we went inside to check if they had anything cool we might want to pick up.

Brett promised one of the big bosses at work that I'd bring home a bottle of Hawaiian Rum. So I picked some up at costco.

We headed back to the beach in town- where we had started our vacation and read for a little while before heading back to the hotel for a dip in the hot tub and to get cleaned up for our flight.

















































I had wanted to see a sea turtle on my trip, and hadn't seen one yet. As we were walking back to the hotel for our final walk along the shore, we saw a couple turtles in the shallow water. It just finished off the trip so nicely.












We ate dinner at a little cafe and headed back toward the airport to return the car and wait for our flight.
















It was a red eye flight and we weren't sitting together so we tried to sleep as best we could.  In vancouver we took our separate flights home and were happy to see our families. Not so impressed with the weather though!






No comments: