Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Special Stuff

We had two great family thanksgiving dinners. We went out to Viking Alberta for the first one with the whole Creasy family. It's Brett's grandmother's family and all their families if that makes sense. It is Brett's favorite holiday I think, and I'm sure it's because of the amazing food. Brett was working this year and so I braved single parenthood to go. The food didn't disappoint, but Isla was being Isla. Next year (if I have to go alone again) I'll follow my first instinct and leave her at home. She's in a tough stage of being quite needy, and quite a momma's girl. Can be tough on the momma sometimes.

The other thanksgiving was with my family. Now that we are living in a bigger place, we have decided to alternate hosting family meals. We change locations of our normal sunday dinners, but also the big family events too. This year Thanksgiving was at my house. I'd love to say that I did it all myself, and it turned out perfect. BUT... I'm not ready for all that yet. So... my mom got the turkey all prepared and just cooked it in my oven. I was in charge of basting though :)
It was delicious as always, and leftovers are always a bonus.

I signed myself up for a quiet book exchange with a group of 10 girls. We each made two different pages times 10. What a HUGE undertaking that was. Honestly there were many days I was ready to back out. I'm sure the feeling was mutual among the group... but now that I'm done and have seen the beautiful pages that everyone else worked on. I'm so happy to have been a part. I just have to get my show together and make the pages into a book.

My new friend LP has been such a great influence on my families activity level. Wyatt is pretty thrilled he has a new best friend, and we are glad that our twin families all get along so well. We took a trip to Prairie gardens this last Friday when both husbands were home. What an amazing place. I'd never been before, but will be making it a yearly tradition for sure. We decided to get there early to beat the school buses, but 9am is pretty chilly at this time of year. The little girls fingers were frozen, but neither liked gloves very much. The boys didn't seem to notice the weather and were willing and enthusiastic to try everything available. We went on a wagon ride, petting zoo, puppet show, corn maze and haunted house to name a few. It really is it's own little village out on the farm. I'd highly recommend it!
One last catch up before bed. We got a pet! His name is Kirby and he's a bearded dragon. Anyone that knows Wyatt will know just how happy he is to have a dragon of his very own. He has wanted a pet for a long time. He has had a few fish, but now he's big enough to notice other possibilities. He wanted a hermit crab, then we considered a puppy, a snake etc. etc. We all could agree on this little guy. He's made one little boy very happy. We just have to be careful to wash hands, and we don't take him out when Isla is around because she can be pretty rough. So far so good on the pet front... but ask me again in 11 years (average life expectancy)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Fun! Even just reading your posts make me tired! So so busy.
I wish we were part of your twin family though :(

Sheri said...

Love the pics in this post. I agree with Kim's post......I am exhausted at all that you do in a week or even a day (don't ask about how lazy I am....lol)
Prairie Gardens is just so fun. We will have to join you next time.
Don't neglect the blog for too long again. Thanks for the fun reads tonight (just what I needed)

Hang in there with Miss.Isla....right around the same age my Buddy was the exact same way but it does pass!

The Pratts said...

Good job hosting your first thanksgiving! The turkey really isn't so bad to do yourself...well, except washing out the innards! I still can't believe you a bought a lizard/dragon! You're the nicest mom around!