Thursday, April 9, 2009

Bedtime routines

Anyone that knows WW knows that he has never been a great sleeper. He seems to have developed other qualities that make me willing to keep him around for a while.(just joking) but we have started in the last couple days to develop a little bedtime routine that I can't help writing about.

BJ works shift work, so when I am left to put WW to bed by myself I tend to be a little less strict than when BJ is home and I'd like to spend some time with him. So last night and tonight have been two nights where BJ is at work. So WW and I take our time before bed, he plays in the tub for a while, we read stories, sing songs, brush his teeth... and then when it's time for him to get to bed he lays down and I try to sneak off to fill his humidifier hoping he will fall asleep without noticing I haven't come back... Not today... he was calling for me so I go back into his room to find him standing up in his crib. The rest of the conversation went like this...

"WW lay down please, it's bedtime."

W- "three blankets?"

"ok, three blankets, but you might get hot"

W- "poops?"

"no Wyatt you were just on the potty."

W- "food? Salad... soo good"

"Wyatt you just had a snack, and you don't like salad"

W- "see daddy?"

"Daddy's at work"

W- "see daddy's white truck"

"daddy's truck is at work too"

W- "kisses?"

"ok, kisses"

W- "sleep mommy's bed?"

"No WW, you have to sleep in WW's bed tonight"

W- "out?"

"Nope"

W-" in?"

"yes"

W-" Play?"

"you can play in the morning it's time for bed"

It's crazy that I just see him sit and think about the next possible request that he thinks I might fall for. And all of his requests seem to make sense to the both of us... What better way to get out of going to sleep than having to use the bathroom, or have a bedtime snack. That little guy is a thinker.

Anyway, after countless requests... he won! I cuddled with him in our bed until he fell asleep, and then moved him into his own room. This little boy is getting way too smart. And he's got quite a sense of humor too, he is always looking to make us laugh, and even when I'm trying to be serious so that he'll eat his dinner instead of be silly, I have a hard time not laughing along. What fun it must be to be a toddler, because I am having so much fun as the mother of a toddler.

3 comments:

Jaima said...

I love how your post ended- with you happy that Wyatt won. And how you love being a mom of a toddler. Inspires me to lighten up, and not need to be a "control-mom" all the time. I don't think control mom has much fun;)

The Heavenor's said...

That is very cute, although at the time I'm sure its frusterating, he is one smart cute kid!

The Whiddens said...

Haha, you caved... that is too funny. I am the same. I can't be strict when they are being so dang cute!