Friday, February 26, 2010

Cleaning

I feel that cleaning my house is an unending battle. A HUGE frustration and I just don't see it improving in the near future. I'm definitely open to suggestions as to how to make my house immaculate full time without it taking me so much time.

Currently, I have one day a week that I spend the whole day cleaning, I clean top to bottom, complete numerous loads of laundry and it's done. It works o.k for now because it's just one day I buckle down and do my thing, but it never stays clean very long, and then once it gets out of control I spend another whole day cleaning.

I have also heard of these cleaning cards that I borrowed from a lady in my ward. There are certain things you do everyday- like pick up each room, and do dishes etc, but then there is only one or two other things that you spread out throughout the other days of the week so you end up spending maybe an hour a day cleaning, and you stay on top of it all. Plus there are weekly, monthly, and yearly tasks that fit in there too so your home is constantly beautiful and sparkling clean.

Now I'm all on board for the cards, because it's right up my alley with a list of things to complete and then you move on to the rest of your day, but I'm finding that I've been in my old habit of full day cleaning for so long that I have a hard time breaking it. That and some days are MUCH busier with other things or places to be that I may not get that days card done... and once you're behind it difficult to get back on track without cleaning the whole house top to bottom. See my trouble.

Now the other concern I have is that I really like a clean house, I find that my behavior, mood, and desire to participate in extra-curricular activities is affected by the state of my house. Yesterday for example, I was over sensitive, moody and not so nice, and I honestly think it was my brains response to the disorganization of my house. Today, I spent the morning scrubbing toilets and I'm happy as a clam.

I'd love to hear your systems for cleaning. Any suggestions would be wonderful for my home, sanity and poor husband (who gets the majority of my grumpiness).

3 comments:

Sheri said...

I try to have a laundry day and then a floor cleaning day and a bathroom day and then the tidying is a daily thing (especially when the kids are in bed that is the first thing I do so i can relax a bit). I find it easier to spread it out then become overwhelmed with a huge task. I feel way better with a clean house but I find that even accomplishing one job a day makes me smile! Other than that I have really had to "let go" of a lot of my insanity of wanting a spotless house all the time....maybe when the kids are all grown up! I want my kids to know they can have fun and play and not stress about their toys being strewn about! Let me know if you come up with some great ideas though.

Liesel said...

I do have a list of daily cleaning to do, but I don't stress if it doesn't get done.
I really believe in the whole idea of "cleaning your house while the kids are still growing is like shovelling the walk while it is still snowing."
I could spend a lot of time cleaning but made a very conscious decision to spend the time with my kids after seeing some of my close friends almost ignore their children in order to have a spotless house.
With me going back to work, I will be making a chart and dividing the chores between me a hubby.

Sarah said...

Another version of those cards you were talking about is a printed schedule called Motivated Moms (you can google it) that breaks it up into certain chores.

I can send you this years Motivated Mom's calendar if you want, I'll try to catch you on Facebook to get your email address.