Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Teaching.

These last couple months I've had the opportunity to substitute teach a couple days. It has been so much fun being in the classroom again.

It took forever to get hired onto the Edmonton Public School Board, and I lucked out getting onto with the Blackgold School District (all about connections). Seriously from when I applied with EPSB to my first day in school had to be over a year. They didn't seem to be in the same hurry that I was to get me working.

It continues to be a frustrating experience hunting for available jobs... BJ and I spend out evenings on their website as well as on their phone system trying to find an opening... but it has all been a great/learning experience so far!

I definitely have to give a BIG THANKS to SH for being my best teaching buddy, and showing me the ropes, and even getting me my first big break. She has been so supportive, and has ALWAYS had my back no matter what. You are the best!!!

BJ has also been amazing, he's always thrilled for me to get out in the schools, and is just so amazing with WW when they spend the day together. He even gets up early to help search for last minute positions that are listed in the morning. He has always been my biggest fan though, encouraging my finishing school in the first place, helping me get all my applications together, interview prep (SH was a HUGE help with that too), and now helping me find work.

It's nice to now be an official teacher, and no longer have to go through the "what do you do?" questions with which I would reply " I have an education degree, but I work casually as a receptionist." I've always been happy to have finished my degree, and was proud of myself... but it feels great to be using my degree and LOVING it!!!

2 comments:

The Heavenor's said...

Congrats LF! I'm very proud of you and admire you, that is a big accomplishment! You must be a great teacher!

Sheri said...

I am sooooooooo glad that you are finally able to be a real live teacher!