Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Preschool

Before leaving for school his very first day.
My baby boy has started his first year of preschool. We have him enrolled in a french immersion program and are so excited about this big step in his little life. Last week on Tuesday I got to go with him for his first day to ease him in, and get him used to the routine. It was nice to meet the teacher and other parents, and to see WW interact in a fairly formal setting. He did great! There were a few times when I got teary watching him, and I was pleasantly surprised at how well he followed along, and paid attention.

Friday of that week was his first "real" day. I was at work so it was BJ that took him to drop him off. It worked well because BJ is much tougher than I am(not in a strict sense, but I knew BJ wouldn't cry or have trouble if WW started crying ), and I was concerned that WW wasn't going to want to stay there by himself. When I called home on my lunch break to see how it went BJ said WW just gave him a big kiss and hug and ran in to the class. When he got home he told us all about his day and his favorite part "glitter glue"!
His special job for the day was line leader.
This week I took him to drop him off. We brought his little backpack, changed into indoor shoes and waited for the door to open. When it did, WW was about to run in, when I reminded him that I needed a kiss goodbye. He turned around, rolled his eyes and gave me a quick peck before running into the classroom. I thought it would be tough to leave him if he was upset about staying without me, it was just as hard to see that he DIDN'T need me. I'm so happy with the school, program and teachers. It is so great for WW to have this little thing that is special for him that he loves.
Outside his locker. Each kid is assigned an animal for the year incase they don't recognize their name yet. WW is a firefighting dalmatian.
Another fun thing about school is that we have been practicing some of his french words at home with him, and he is pretty good at pronunciation. It's just funny when he will tell me a gibberish french word he has made up but he is adamant that he's right.
Snack time, this is what worried me most about preschool. WW is such a picky eater and he just gets the snack that is brought for the day. Each family takes turns bringing enough snack for the whole class. I was blown away the day I took him to school because he opened his snack and ate the whole thing without a fuss. It sounds like that has been the case every school day since as well. Way to go WW!!

2 comments:

Sheri said...

Great post! I seriously can't believe WW could be this old already. I can't wait to hear some french words from!
That is so funny that he eats anything at school but really I suppose most kids eat whatever we offer them at nursery too (it must have something to do with the control issues with Mom and Dad). I can't wait to see more preschool updates as the year progresses.

Sarah B said...

He has grown up SO fast!! I love that you guys have put him in french immersion, that remains one of the best things my parents did for me! :)